Invitation to prequalify for construction of powerhouse and appurtenances – Smithland and Meldahl hydro projects, US7 July 2010
The prequalification documents will be made available on July 15, 2010.
Each project will divert water from the lock and dam through a powerhouse that will house three bulb-type turbine/generating units, The Smithland Project will have three 24MW units; the Meldahl Project will have three 35MW units. Each powerhouse contract includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Construction of the cast-in-place reinforced-concrete powerhouse;
• Construction of ground improvements (Smithland only);
• Construction of the approach and tailrace channels;
• Construction of the landside and riverside closure structures;
• Assume operation of the cofferdam and dewatering system (currently being constructed under a separate contract);
• Removal of the cofferdam and dewatering system;
• Installation, testing, start-up, and commissioning of Owner-furnished equipment, which includes the bulb turbine-generator units, gate equipment, powerhouse crane, main power transformers, trashrake, and log grabber;
• Supply and installation of balance of plant mechanical/electrical equipment;
• Construction of a takeoff structure (161-kV for Smithland; 138-kV for Meldahl) above the powerhouse (for connection to a transmission line to be constructed under a separate contract);
• Construction of site facilities (warehousing, etc.);
• Construction of recreation facilities; and
• Miscellaneous other site work including finish grading, roads, parking areas, lighting, final restoration, etc.
The Smithland powerhouse contract is expected to run from June 2011 to October 2014. The Meldahl powerhouse contract is expected to run from June 2011 to June 2014. Bidding documents for both contracts are expected to be available in early December 2010.
Completed prequalification questionnaires for the Project should be sent to AMP, at 1111 Schrock Road, Suite 100, Columbus Ohio, 43229, US, by 12:00 p.m. (noon), local time, on 4 October 2010. Detailed instructions are contained in the prequalification documents.
Requests for prequalification documents and all questions relating to this Invitation to Prequalify should be forwarded to the Owner’s Engineer, MWH, at:
175 West Jackson Boulevard
Chicago, IL 60604
Attn: David Walters
Bid Phase Administrator
with a copy to:
American Municipal Power, Inc.
1111 Schrock Road
Columbus, Ohio 43229
Attn: Phil Meier
Assistant Vice President – Hydro Development
Potential suppliers and subcontractors desiring to receive a list of prequalified bidders (once it is available) shall e-mail Mr. Walters with their full contact information and a brief description of the goods and services they offer.