There have been 25 confirmed fatalities following the July 20 tunnel incident at NHPC’s Teesta Stage VI Hydroelectric Project in Sikkim, India, after rescue teams concluded operations and recovered all those affected.

The incident occurred at 1:04pm on July 20 inside the under-construction Head Race Tunnel (HRT), when a suspected methane gas pocket trapped within the surrounding rock suddenly burst, causing an explosion that generated dense fumes and toxic gases.

The rescue operation was carried out with the coordinated support of the District Administration, the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), the Ministry of Power, the Ministry of Home Affairs, the Ministry of Defence, the governments of Sikkim and West Bengal, NHPC, Coal India Limited, Patel Engineering Limited, Eastern Coalfields Limited, Western Coalfields Limited, local authorities and several other agencies.

According to NHPC, the company’s senior management remained at the project site throughout the rescue operation to monitor progress and coordinate with the agencies involved.

NHPC said it “deeply mourns the tragic loss of 25 precious lives in this unfortunate incident and extends its heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families”. The company added that it “stands firmly with the families during this difficult time and is committed to extending all possible support to them.”

The company also expressed its gratitude to the organisations and personnel involved in the rescue effort, under what it described as exceptionally challenging circumstances.

NHPC also thanked the Ministry of Power, the Ministry of Home Affairs, the Ministry of Defence, and the governments of Sikkim and West Bengal for their guidance, support and assistance during the rescue operation.

NHPC has previously said that a detailed investigation will be carried out to determine the cause of the incident following the conclusion of rescue operations.