Under the MoU, the provincial government and the Tobique First Nation have reached agreement on a number of items, including:
• Remediation for shore erosion along the Saint John and Tobique rivers.
• Investigation, assessment and remediation of dump site contamination.
• Electrical energy development opportunities.
• A training and mentorship program to train Tobique First Nation workers to perform maintenance on hydroelectric stations, including the Tobique and the Beechwood dams. This activity will include normal maintenance related to the safe and efficient delivery of electricity.
• 5MW of power generation allocated to the Tobique First Nation.
• Other issues about the Tobique Dam including power lines, ownership; and leases.
As a part of the MoU, the Tobique First Nation will ensure that NB Power will have access to the restricted dam area so that normal activity related to the safe and efficient delivery of electricity will occur within Tobique.
The provincial government and the Tobique First Nation will continue discussions and establish implementation timelines over the next several months.